By Jun Colmenares
Limited funding opportunities for Filipino non-profit organizations with a 501(c)(3) status are now available from the Hawaii Filipino Heritage Fund of the Hawaii Community Foundation. This will be the final grant making year for the fund.
The Hawaii Filipino Heritage Fund is a non-endowed, donor-advised, and time-limited fund that was created for the purpose of providing limited funding support to programs, projects, or activities that (1) celebrate, preserve and promote Filipino history, culture, and traditions in
, and/or (2) support the socio-cultural and educational development of the Filipino youth in Hawaii . Hawaii
Guidelines for grant making are as follows:
- Only non-profit organizations with a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status may apply.
- About $25,000+ in total grants is available for this final year. No multi-year grant applications will be accepted.
- Interested applicants shall submit a grant application of no more than five (5) pages which will include the following:
· Brief background about the applicant organization, its goals and past performance
· Brief description of the project or activity to be funded; project or activity must conform to the purposes of the Fund and to the goals of the applicant organization
· Project budget showing sources of income and expenditures; the Fund shall not be the sole source of funding for the project or activity
· Proof of non-profit 501(c)(3) tax exempt status
· Signature and contact information
- Applications are to be submitted:
- Applications must be received by
March 31, 2011. Applicants shall be notified of the results no later than one month after receipt of their grant application. Checks will be issued by the Hawaii Community Foundation within two weeks after grant notification.
- Grants shall be awarded based on the following criteria: (a) its adherence to the purpose of the Fund, (b) the significance of the project, and (c) the impact that the project will have on the Filipino community in
- Grantees are required to submit a final report (narrative and financial) to the Hawaii Community Foundation within one year after the end of the project.
For more information or questions, please contact Jun Colmenares at 510-734-4491 or leave a message at 808-485-0390.